Options

What makes a game good is the graphics - NSF56K

BroloBrolo BroseidonLord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Games and Technology
What's the prettiest image you've ever seen of a video game?

Remember there's a difference between realitstic rendering and art style - Crysis has the former, World of Warcraft has the latter, but either can make a screenshot beautiful.

shadow-of-the-colossus-20050927025333795_640w.jpg
SotC

86ruumd.jpg
Freespace 2

MI3.gif
Monkey Island

gran-turismo-5-images-20070816051539305_640w.jpg
Gran Turismo 5

Brolo on

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A quick GIS doesn't really bring up anything that captures the splendour of it, but X3 has some absolutely gorgeous things to see. Just hanging out in space as ships cruise past, going about their duties, as the weather patterns drift across the surface of the slowly rotating nearby planet.

Halo 3 had some stunningly beautiful vistas, helped largely by the brilliant lighting that Bungie have going on in it.

BioShock, obviously. There was a place at the Center Parcs (Longleat, fact fans) I stayed at last week, that had similar art deco stylings to Rapture. Was pretty cool.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    From this gen I'd have to say it's really close between Halo 3, Bioshock, and Mass Effect.

From a few years ago, Half Life 2. Seeing the drones flooding out of the Citadel, far in the distance, was spectacular. And pretty scary, knowing they were all looking for me.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Dammit, I need more pretty pictures. Someone impress me with fantastic looking games.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    X3 Reunion.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Easily one of my favorite settings:

rapture.jpg

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The new PS3 Naruto and DBZ game have some of the best use of cel shading ever. The DBZ game looks very impressive, and there's a demo for anyone who really wants to check it out.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Spoiler for teh huge.
    Alien-Ship-01.jpg

But yeah. The ship in Crysis. This whole part was just amazing looking.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah. Crysis is preposterously good looking. Cries of 'realism is boring' are clearly from the people who havent played the game to the parts that show high artistic merit.

Here is my choise. Spoilered for h scroll rape. Halo 3 doesnt have technically the best graphics, but the art is really good in my opinion.
    panhalo2ss4.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love the blue washout the explosion makes.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    screen0007.jpg

ss_administrator_04-28-07_00-39-17_.jpg

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    X3
    x3screen00012.jpg

x3screen00007.jpg

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wanna et some direct feed images of COD4 on my hdtv.

Minor technicals aside it looks shit hot.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    On X3, I remember how I nearly fell out of my chair the first time I undocked from a station. I was sat there, expecting it to take me to some kind of 'undocking' animation showing my ship unhooking and flying away. To see it seamlessly just remove the space station UI and go straight into me directly flying away, that was not what I expected. Doesn't sound like much, but I found it quite something.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is another fine example. Visually it isn't the most stunning, but the atmosphere created by the game is absolutely brilliant. I got a real taste for just how oppressive the world is the first time I stepped out into a rain-drenched thunderstorm, within the first few minutes of playing.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't play it as often as I used to, but...Guild Wars:
    gwen-scr007-lrg.jpg

gwen-scr003-lrg.jpg

gwen-scr009-lrg.jpg

citizen059 on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Too much bloom in those GW screenies

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    On X3, I remember how I nearly fell out of my chair the first time I undocked from a station. I was sat there, expecting it to take me to some kind of 'undocking' animation showing my ship unhooking and flying away. To see it seamlessly just remove the space station UI and go straight into me directly flying away, that was not what I expected. Doesn't sound like much, but I found it quite something.

Yeah, that actually killed me the first time, but hey. It's my own fault for deactivating the auto pilot.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've been playing through some back PS2 catalogue and I'm amazed I missed out on some truly gorgeous games. Not because of the graphics, which were so-so, but the art direction, style, and animated cutscenes. For instance, the art direction in Mark of Kri (which basically looks like a hand-drawn Disney movie, except with heads popping off and bloody violence) is fantastic, and on loading screens where the opening scene of the next level gets drawn onto the screen line by line is just... Man. It gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

The animated sequences in Sly Cooper are also ace, with the same level of hand-drawn animated style that gets passed over in favor of cel-shading in the current gen.

Oddly, as much as I enthuse hand-drawn animations in games, I could not stand Monkey Island 3. I think it looks like garbage.

ed: it doesn't come across in words look at this shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7jeUwxLX2s

freakish light on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Crysis <3

This is directly from my screen.

A few minutes later I was killed by a sniper because I was busy staring at a wet rock.

e: Looks even better in motion. Falling leaf matter; real-time shadows flicking across the bump mapping. Gorgeous. Go youtube some shitz if you like.

Oh, and the underwater stuff is near photo-realistic.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There's a part in Mario Galaxy that always gets me. It's a very small section of a single level, but it just looks so cool.

Spoilered for h-scroll:
    Super-Mario-Galaxy-9.jpg

Graviija on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    The first time I stood on top of the tallest mountain in Dun Morough in WoW was a pretty impressive moment for me. I did this on the launch day, so the graphics were decent for the time. I've since switched completely to Horde, and there just aren't that many terrific vistas available in the Horde starting areas.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The lava room in Resident Evil 4 (the one with the fire breathing statues) still blows me away every time I get to it.

Actually, that whole game still looks fantastic, even with today's HD sorcery.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't find a good screencap of it, but in the first Devil May Cry game, when you start the final boss stage and you walk through the door into the black and white cathedral and it's got that amazing lighting? Yeah, I just about crapped my pants.

Peen on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd have to say the Tower of Kagatsuchi in Nocturne. 666 floors high, and it's definitely obvious from the scope of it. Especially the top floor.

I don't think a screen shot that does it justice is out there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    Too much bloom in those GW screenies

Oh, right, I forgot to say OLOL BLOOM.

Because, you know, olol bloom?

I also enjoyed Mafia.

release29.jpg

Great atmosphere in that game. :)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I stopped playing WoW a long time ago but Zangarmarsh was one of my favorite zones in the game:

UrkZang.jpg

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    From Mass Effect (lawl major spoilers, not a screenie):
    The game is rightfully dinged for having some shockingly uninteresting gameplay areas, but the Citadel really makes up for it. Particularly the near-end sequence where you're rushing towards the council chambers through Geth reinforcements, with the Sathan... errr... Sovereign doing whatever it is that its doing during this sequence. Just so epic and beautiful (in a horrible kind of way).

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    aq-screen01.jpg

Man, Aquaria is such a pretty game.

King of Fighters XII:

kkof002.jpg

kof013.jpg

<3 sprites

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    zelda02_02.jpg
    um_102527-53488-zeldacdifaces_thumb4.jpg

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Davoid wrote: »
    something terrible
    You...

You are bad and you should feel bad.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    STALKER by itself is rather nice, but STALKER with the Oblivion Lost mod and something that can run the game full-blast? Ho-lee shit. It can't beat Crysis in terms of sheer detail, but the lighting effects are absolutly breathtaking, better than Crysis' own, IMO, and it works extrordinarily well with the ambiant noise to create this awesome sense of immersion.

I'll see if I can grab the appropriate screens for it.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I always really liked the floating city in Metroid Prime 3 but I can't find a decent screen shot of it so... use your imagination.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070826102240384_640w.jpg

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cannot wait for this to come out, if it ever does.

limbo-tp.jpg

JRosey on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Company of Heroes is pretty great for an RTS. Especially when it's raining.

And while amazing graphics might not be that important in an RTS, they sure don't hurt the experience.

06bc8.jpg

11nq7.jpg

13yq5.jpg

14kl9.jpg

12vc9.jpg

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just picked up Lost Odyssey, some amazing visuals in places in that game.

Muramasa18 on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Couldn't find a screenshot, but the Ice Cave early on in Blue Dragon blew me away. Very pretty.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mirror's Edge

Spoilered for h-scroll
    mirrors-edge-20080228010813817.jpg

The game has a retro-futuristic look to it, I really love that style. The movie Speed Racer had the same feel to it (and I suggest you all see it, even if just for the looks, it's amazing).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ah, here we go, some Oblivion Lost shots.

Sunset

Lightning shots

Moonlit road

Early morning on the surface

Sewer enterence. This is actually probably my favorite spot in the whole game between the lighting and the ambiance and some of the things you run into down here.

More of the sewer

More sewer lighting

Last sewer shot

Sorenson on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How old is X3? I've somehow not heard of it and yet those screenshots look GREAT!

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mirror's Edge

Spoilered for h-scroll

snip

The game has a retro-futuristic look to it, I really love that style. The movie Speed Racer had the same feel to it (and I suggest you all see it, even if just for the looks, it's amazing).

Wow, that looks absolutely amazing. I can't wait.

exis on